Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rock Band Unwrapped

Ever wanted to know what the inside of a wireless Harmonix Rock Band 2 fender stratocaster guitar looked like? Yeah me to, so when I got my hands on a broken one, I went to work. I was surprised to find that all you needed was a simple Phillips head screw driver. Below in order is what I found. Enjoy.
I decided to attack the front plate first.
I quickly discovered a small dilemma. The tiny cone shaped feedback controller was holding the face plate on the front of the guitar. I decided to turn my attention to the back of the guitar.

Only 14 screws held the guitar together. After removing those screws, you were forced to pull a few glued wires for the inside of the case. At this point the guitar could still be put back together and used. If it actually worked.

And the back view.
After the main case was dismantled, I turned my attention to what would be the most difficult part to dissect. The long neck of the guitar had only 6 visible screws to simple undo.
Hidden in the head of the neck was this little sheet metal connector. It provided a very sturdy support system. At this point, I still believe I could put the guitar back together.
After I popped that sucker out, the neck still wouldn't come apart. Something was keeping it together and there was very little give in the plastic.
In the picture below you can see a broken screw. It was hidden under the blue or red neck key. I probably should have looked, but I finally had a point of no return. I was now obligated to finish the dismantling of the guitar. At this point the guitar is broken and can not be put back together.
Here is an before shot of the remaining wires and gizmo's still attached to the plastic.

A few more twists of the screwdriver and presto. A empty case.
Here are the final pictures of the process. A pretty big mess.
A final overall view of the remaining plastic. All screws will be recycled. Plastics will be disposed of properly.
Special thanks to AlmostFamous24 for providing the guitar. Stay tuned for an upcoming sequel......20 Gig hard drive unwrapped?
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment